We all like a quick supper! The person who cooks it. The hungry people who are waiting to eat it. What better option than a trusty stir-fry! This is also so easy to adjust, based on what is in your fridge. Feel free to ad lib and replace certain items with those you have on hand. This is always a forgiving dish to make!
For those that would like a plant-based meal, or on the days you are preparing a meat-free meal, take a look at a great alternative ingredient to replace the beef with. We enjoy the salty soy taste and the punch of Sriracha. Give it a go!
What you need:
- 500g beef stroganoff cut (sometimes these strips tend to be very long. Slice smaller if you need to)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 125g button mushrooms, halved
- 125g portabellini mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced at an angle
- 125g thin asparagus spears, cut at an angle into 3cm pieces
- 125g bean sprouts
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce (we prefer Kikkoman)
- 2Tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 60ml Cranberry juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Seasoning of choice – Optional:
- 1 x box Fry’s Family thick cut chunky strips (these can replace the beef strips should you want a meat free meal)
- Or 250 g dried Chickpeas, soaked and cooked. (Tinned chickpeas make for a very quick substitute)
What to do:
- Pour ½ a Tbsp olive oil into a thick based pan or a wok. Heat and add the mushrooms. Fry till
cooked but so that they still have a bite to them. Set aside.
- Allow the pan to heat up, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and then fry the beef in three batches until golden brown. (This is key so that the pan retains heat, and thus beef goes golden). Season lightly while cooking each batch. Set aside. (If using Fry’s Family thick cut strips, pan fry at this stage, instead of the beef)
- Add the remaining olive oil and allow to heat. Stir-fry the vegetables till they soften but stay crunchy. Add the mushrooms and beef to the vegetables.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Pour over the stir-fry mix that is in the pan, stir and heat through.
- Check seasoning and add more should you need it. (Should you be using chickpeas, add them here and heat through) Remove from heat.
- Serve with rice noodles, rice or wholegrains of your choice.
- Remember the leftovers make an awesome filling for a wrap or pita bread for lunch the next day!