Routines, time management and child safety
- The importance of a daily routine for baby, nanny and parents
- Planning the day and week to balance housework duties and child care
- Safety, identifying hazards and creating a childproof environment – inside and outside
- Stranger danger and personal safety
First Aid (Presented by a practicing First Aid professional)
Our First Aid Facilitator has over 5 years of paramedic experience. We focus on the immediate practical management of medical emergencies.
Nannies are taught to effectively manage the first 10 minutes of the emergency including the skills to manage:
- Drowning/No Breathing (CPR)
- Fever and seizures
- Head and spinal injuries
- Bites and Stings
- Emergency numbers
- First Aid Kit contents
- In depth discussion about HIV and TB and preventing communicable diseases
Nutrition and hygiene
- Understanding what a healthy diet is made up of (e.g. proteins, why we eat them, where we get them from, how much a child needs etc)
- Menu planning
- Weaning and introducing solids
- Personal and baby hygiene
Growth and Development
- The importance of play
- Developmental Supporting games and activities for babies and toddlers
- Understanding gross and fine motor stimulation
- Learning through reading and music
The content was developed by a pre-school teacher, a physiotherapist and 2 mothers. Particular attention is paid to the developmental milestones and supporting games and activities that one can use to encourage learning.
This is all done whilst making sure that the child has fun and stays safe. The nanny will also feel confident and is then able to care for all of the growing child’s needs.
Our material and teaching methodology has been tried and tested for more than 12 years and we invite a range of experts to review the content from time to time.
This, in addition to ongoing input and feedback from mothers and nannies, ensures it is always in line with current thinking – fresh and relevant.
Our first aid trainer has over 5 years practical paramedic experience, therefore knowing what it is to revive a drown victim or deal with a burn patient.
She has trained the Sugar and Spice Nanny Training First Aid module for over 7 years, as such she is very skilled in assessing and ensuring that the nannies get it right.
On completion of the course your nanny will receive 2 certificates and manuals – The Sugar and Spice Nanny Training manual and certificate and the First Aid manual and certificate, which is accredited with the Resuscitation Council of South Africa.